Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Crochet for rad chicks!

So you want to learn how to crochet?
Well, ok! I'll do my best to help you.
That's right. You can be rad and crochet, much to the disbelief of my husband!

Before I start showing you some crochet patterns, you need to learn to basics. I'm going to assume you have never picked up a crochet hook before and have no idea where to start, so if you are familiar with the basic stitches you can come back when the fun starts!

I learnt all I know from watching tutorials on youtube. Some were great, others quite confusing. I think that while learning how to do the stitches it's easier to comprehend it by watching someone do it rather than look at step-by-step photos. Once you know the basic stitches we will move onto photos, but for this part, video is best.
Now I don't have the time (or the voice!) to make a video tutorial myself, so I have watched though quite a few to find the best for you to understand and hopefully you'll be crocheting in no time!

Before you sit down and watch the tutorial, make sure you have some 8ply yarn (just get some cheap stuff to start with) and a 4mm hook. It's a medium sized hook easy to start with. By having your tools ready you will be able to follow what is happening on the video as they do it.

One very important thing to know before you start is this: there is 2 different sets of crochet terms. There's UK and US terms. Usually here in Australia we use the UK terms, so if you see an american pattern you will need to convert it. It's easy, here's the chart:
This video is great for the absolute beginner. Mikey takes you through each step slowly and explains things as he goes. I'll warn you- this is quite a long video, but it is well worth it as he explains things such as how to hold the wool and hook so that you don't loose your cool and chuck it across the room.
I think by learning these little things straight away, it can save a lot of frustration.

Remember, this guy is American, so when he says 'double crochet', it's a 'treble' to us.

Are you still with me?

Take it away Mikey!
So I want you to practice these basic stitches for a day or 2, then when you feel confident with that you can move onto a granny square, the pattern of which I will be posting in the next couple of days. Yay!

{If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!}

4 comments:

  1. Oh yay.....I am soooo coming back here tonight (when kids are in bed) with hook, wool and going to get my crochet on!! Keep you posted lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited you're doing these posts Rach!
    As a newbie to the crochet world I'm looking forward to getting some tips! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever lady! Love this. I will be following along, thank rach. Hugs, Veronica xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely messages! They really make my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...